Clearing Space for Personal Growth
It’s a New Year and time to make space for all those dreams and visions to take root. But how can something new be added to your plate if it already runneth over?
This is the time to clean out that which is no longer needed in your life, that which is no longer useful, that which is holding you back and mostly, that which is no longer interesting!
Here is a ritual to help you do just that.
Imagine a clean slate…..or at least and organized slate…..but more importantly, an intentional slate.
1) Take out a piece of paper (or write in the sand while at the beach) and list that which is bogging you down. Too many commitments? Too many promises held over? Not enough “push” on your part? Too much clutter? Too many options? Too much confusion? Not enough clarity? etc.
2) Narrow this list down to specifics.
- Which commitments are you ready to get rid of? (Are you on a committee that no longer feels important to you?)
- What space needs de-cluttering? (Desk? Computer Desktop? Vanity? Closets?)
- What time do you need to re-claim for yourself? (What can you say “no” to in order to free up space for your new dreams?)
- What is the cause of the confusion? (Listening to other people’s opinions? Not listening to yourself?)
- Not enough time for self-nurturing? (Do you need to spend more time just begin with yourself? In nature? Doing nothing?)
4) Give this area the time and energy it needs. Decide the best method of approach to relinquishing this area of your life while maintain your integrity……whatever that looks like for you. Sit with your reasons for wanting to let go. Sit with the notion of what you will gain by doing so……and then, Go For It!
5) Sage – get a smudge stick (can be bought at any health food store) and sage your old space. Clear out the old energy. Make statements as such – “I now clear this area of my life and make room for personal growth and change. I’m so happy to be reclaiming this space for myself and feel renewed by my actions.” Or, in your own words.
6) Sit in the emptiness…..the unstructured Space & Time created by this new window of opportunity.
7) Breathe! I know having this window open and unfilled might produce anxiety in you. Just sit with it and breathe. Sit longer. Sit as long as you can possibly stand it without filling this empty space. Sit until you are actually comfortable with this empty space. Don’t force yourself to fill it.
8) Finally, allow yourself to dream. Which of your dreams will fit best into this now empty space? Which one holds the most interest for you? Which one actually excites you?
9) Slowly, begin.
10) Breathe new life into your empty space and start planting seeds for your dream to blossom in the year ahead.
That’s it! Pretty simple yet powerful. Choose only one area or several. Make a day of it. You’ll feel so much better……I promise!
Happy New Year! May your Dreams have all the space and time and nurturing they need, to blossom.